I spent some time playing around with more code for the FieldDay app with functionality and built a few different skins to see what felt right, what I liked, etc. Gitlab was down but everything seems to be working smoothly once more! I also have started helping Erin out with research on the wetland birds and ways of applying the thermal camera. While we need more information from Oli, we were able to consolidate some of what we do know into a more concise idea. A bit ago I also did a little background research on Googles project loon and found that our idea for balloons is still very viable as the max hight is around 20miles up and with the largest mounting in Iceland being only 7miles, I think our chances are still good of getting a usable tech.
Earlier this week we had a programmers meeting to decide the direction for the app such as the mechanics and architecture. While we initially will hold off on the graphic designs for the app there is still much to be done!
I’ve started researching the process states within Android and how the app will interact with the hardware of the Nexus. So far the developer webpage has been most beneficial in understanding the way that processes work by default and how to tweak that to individual needs. I also found a very valuable system service called prostats that allows you to see how RAM is being allocated and gives you to the tools to analyze it for specific features.
Im slowly coming to the conclusion that the android platform is a tinkerer’s dream and that there are hardly any restrictions to get in your way (iOS I’m looking at you). I’ve spent the week continuing to learn the ways of java and android studio but have started to shift my thoughts to how to implement and set up the new $FIELDSCIENCE app. Through exploring the source code and the app itself I know the general nature of what is needed (i.e., ambiance, temp, notepad, etc) in the app and brain storming on new ways to implement them as well as taking note on the things I like from the original app. Things feel like they are starting to get rolling!
Week 2 began with copying and reading trough the old files for the $FIELDSCIENCE program. Once on my local machine I was able to load the program and begin to sift my way through the app’s source code. One challenge that I was made aware of is that the original code was written using Eclipse IDE and the current supported system is Android Studio IDE. Luckily, the book (The Big Nerd Ranch Guide to Android Programming) that I chose to learn from is written entirely for Eclipse IDE and I will be translating the learner’s programs to ones working within Android Studio (to quote Charlie “sometimes its like drinking from a fire hydrant”). With this being the case, I should have a firm grasp on the differences between the two IDE’s.
My time this week was spent learning through google searches and reading/attempting the programs within the book. Progress is going well and I am feeling fairly comfortable using Android Studio and the basics of java with the help of a cheatsheet for syntax. My goal in the next week is to have a firmer grasp on the program we already have and the direction/updates that we plan to make in the future.
In any case, all this talk of java really makes me crave coffee.
This first week has been all about learning the environment in which I’ll be working in, mainly Android Studio. Having done some minor iOS dev in the past the concepts are not foreign to me and instead of being completely fresh its going to be an exercise in how to apply knowledge to a new syntax.
Much of my time has been spent getting to know how android apps functions, both behind the scenes (the code) as well as how to use the device (completed apps and such). I began viewing forums, guides, and videos to better my understanding of the mechanics and the tools available to me. Following that I started where every self respecting programmer starts, with a simple “hello world” program.
Once I felt I had a basic understanding of who things worked I started to wade my way through github in search of interesting code to read. I am a tinkerer at heart and learn new code through working my way through existing code to get a feel for whats what.